My photo
Welcome to Prospero's Blog! My wife Mollie and I work together in our Rough Magic studio on the coast of Maine. I've always loved old books, memorabilia, curiosities and Americana (especially 19th century dramatic literature) and am happy to share my discoveries in my Etsy Shops. Please come by and browse ~ there's just no telling what you'll find!

July 15, 2015

Trouping through Texas - Harley Sadler and His Tent Show

Trouping through Texas 
Well now, what with this, that and the other, it's been quite awhile since I've been here, and it's high time I had my say about something.

So, today I'm giving you a peek into a theatre-history-cum-biography book that's a welcome newcomer to Prospero's Bookshelf.

Written by Clifford Ashby and Suzanne DePauw May and published by Bowling Green University Popular Press in 1982, this entertaining and well written book tells the story of the early 20th century native Texan "hero" entertainer.


At a time in the American Southwest when there was little tolerance between the pulpit and the stage, Sadler became the exception - to the extent that rural preachers called him "as near a certifiable saint as ever emerged from the Baptist Church." And when "Old Harley" came to town, they were known reschedule their regular Wednesday night services to avoid competing with his performances.


This delightful paperback is 187 pages long and well illustrated with black and white photographs.


It measures 9 x 6 inches and is in very good condition.

©2015 ProsperosBookshelf

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...